Wednesday, June 22, 2011

For the love of the FRAY!


"Now Groo does what Groo does best!"

Comic books had quite an impact on me - despite the fact that I didn't get into them until 7th or 8th grade - and I really didn't collect TONS of comic books at any point. Besides the comic book follow-ups and sequels for sci-fi classic franchises The Terminator, Aliens, and Predator, (and then Hellboy and BPRD later on) the only other comic I was really into was Groo the Wanderer - which, besides being awesome, were plentiful and none too expensive to buy back issues for. And so I ended up with about 60 or 70 Groo comic books before my desire to keep buying comic books fizzled.

They're still really fun to go back and read and, of course, Aragones' artwork is endlessly detailed and masterful. So I thought I'd do my own version of the cheese dip loving marauder as tribute. If you have never seen what Aragones' Groo looks like, pictures are easy to Google - or you can just check this GROO ANIMATION TEST that makes me pine for a hand-drawn Groo movie.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. haha awesome. id love to see your take on rufferto, the sage, and Chakaal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I didn't even think that far ahead - but that would be a great series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehehe a Prescott Groo! Very cool. He's been working out he doesn't have the noodle arms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, it's the LEGS that are scrawny little twigs - everything else on Aragones' Groo is fat and/or bulky. I tried skinny legs on this guy - it looked creepy and gross!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh. You're right. If I weren't a lazy person I would've looked a picture of Groo beforehand. My art cred is forever tarnished.

    But I can still draw the predator from memory GOD DAMMIT.

    ReplyDelete