Friday, November 20, 2009

SKETCH-OF-THE-DAY 083


S is for Serqet

The Egyptian scorpion goddess was a deity of poisons, snake bites, and obviously, scorpion stings - either dishing out stings to unrighteous jerks or curing the effects of poisonous bites and stings. Serqet was also commonly known as a funerary deity with the delightfully morbid job of protecting embalmed entrails and was considered either a companion to Isis or an aspect of Isis.

Boringly, Serqet was usually portrayed as either a scorpion or a woman with a scorpion on her head. I think she needed a visual upgrade.

8 comments:

  1. As ever, great work.

    I think the extra segment/joint in her "human" arms is especially brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet dude. I was showing a couple of students interested in illustration your rottface.com site.. Now I'll show em this!

    Cheers!

    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
  3. finally, i feel like i've been waiting for 'S' for way too long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooo- kinda freaky, but I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the giant claws, with where they're placed they kind of feel like wings. Great sketch man.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He's back!
    Great design too! Would've been a downer if it was just a trace job of a scorpion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice sketch, love the design and the awkwardly cool jointed arms. Thanks for commenting on my blog, I really appreciated the advice! Also it was great to see your work at illuxcon.

    All the best,
    Lisandro

    ReplyDelete