Sunday, February 15, 2009

SKETCH-OF-THE-DAY 027


In shaking that last few kiloliters of mucus from my head and face, I have lost the ability to get a good night of sleep.  So tonight I am foregoing the regular sketch and instead posting a rough I did for a Magic: the Gathering card a little while back - I jumped back into it, polished up a few details, and took out some slopped-in background stuff.   Yes, it is still cheating.  So sue me.  Actually, don't sue me - my lawyer was hiking around in Canyonlands National Park and got eaten by a malicious, beweaponed lion-man.  What an extremely sucky coincidence.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice... i hope you are rolling in money for your skills... every time I see artists this good I hope they are successful (not saying money = success but...)

    and on a more anal retentive note... that weapon would be more effective if the underside of the blade where sharpened. As it is the point of the blade would be deadly when swung but the blade would only be effective if the weapon where pushed at an enemy (or friend too I guess) which would be an awkward movement for a club/axe-like weapon or if the blow where nearly missed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. and not to put too fine a point on it (so to speak) if you did strike an opponent with the point it would be difficult for the wielder to remove quickly possibly disarming him or her, while a sharpened underside would allow the blade to cut a path through during the swing or with a pull after impalement.

    The one I wield works like that anyway... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indeed - it would probably be a ludicrously awkward weapon - for many reasons. This particular one was from reference for what these lionfolk wield. But, in fantasy gaming art, interesting/cool aesthetics almost always win over functionality!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whhhoooaahaksdhaiusdha...(sweet dude) I seriously need to get you to look at some work of mine and get some advice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool design Steve! I have an affinity for beastly characters so take it from me you kicked ass on this guy. And NO I don't like furries that's an entire world I never want to see...

    ...shudder...

    ReplyDelete